Dynamic Assessment (DA) allows you to measure a child learning potential and is considered a great alternative to static, standardized assessments especially for children from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds. Mediated Learning is a form of DA in which you select a language target (for example a skill the child struggled with on a static assessment) and then use a test-teach-retest format such as the one described below. This format allows you to observe whether the child is able to achieve the language target with a specified level of support (minimal – maximal).
1. Select the language target
2. Conduct Pre-testing using 5 items take from baseline probes.
3. Record results. If 80% accuracy or higher, select another target.
4. If 60% accuracy or lower, conducted Mediated Assessment session.
5. Conduct a post-testing session with Minimal support.
6. Continue to increase level of support until 80% accuracy is reached.
For this activity (Module 7), you will design a DA measure using a mediated learning experience that could be implemented with a preschool or school-aged child referred for concerns with language development. In this hypothetical example, the task will be implemented by an experienced SLP in English, although in this case the child has consistent experience with another language. Make sure you watch the DA video (Links to an external site.) included in the Module Playlist.
DA VIDEO – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKHQTrd-5FE&feature=emb_logo
1. Review the sample Mediated Learning Experience which assesses the child ability to follow 3-step directions.
2. Select a language area from this list of general language areas or from this list of narrative abilities. Describe the specific language/narrative skill you will address in DA. For example, if you select creating utterances (grammatical forms) your goal may be Assess comprehension of spatial concepts (e.g., behind, in front)."
3. Using the Mediated Learning Experience Template, specify the age of the child you are assessing (make this up) and state the specific language skill you will assess.
4. Using the template, fill in the text in the Example column of the table for each strategy: Intentionality, Meaning, Transcendence, Application, Competence. The script should be appropriate given the age of the child you are assessing (for example you wouldnt say to a 4-year old, were going to work on the present participle today" but you might say "were going to work on action words that end in the sound.).
Design a DA measure using a mediated learning experience that could be implemented with a preschool or school-aged child referred for concerns with language development.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more