In both short and long essays please respond to arguments that Takaki makes in “A Different Mirror” while also integrating material from lectures, discussions, and primary source documents. This is an exam and not a paper–it shouldn’t take you much more than 3 hours. You should treat this like an in-class exam with open books/notes using your notes, the documents, and your textbook (Takaki). Do NOT use wikipedia or any other internet sources.
Please numbers your essays and please upload your exam as a SINGLE word or pdf file. Please do NOT submit from your google docs, do NOT copy/paste, and do not use a remote drive. Upload an actual file.
Answer FIVE of the following in 1-2 paragraphs. You should use Takaki and/or the documents weve read to answer these questions but you are not required to quote them like you are on papers. This is an exam not a paper: treat it like an in-class open-book exam. Do NOT use outside sources. (20 points each)
1. Why was Bacons Rebellion such a significant event in colonial America? And how does Takakis argument about the giddy multitude as he called it carry over to one of his larger arguments in the book?
Image: The burning of Jamestown, 1676.
2. Slavery is part of the fabric of the American continent dating back to 1619 in the English colonies. It was written in to the founding legal document of the United States and would remain legal for the nation’s first eight decades. Yet there appears to have been some discomfort with the institution, even by some of those who practiced it and benefited from it the most. “Founding Fathers” Thomas Jefferson and Benjamin Franklin are such an example. Compare and contrast Jefferson and Franklin’s position on slavery.
Image: Jefferson and Franlin
3. Becoming American: According to Takaki, Eastern European Jews went through a process of purification and to become American meant to acquire civility. What is civility in this context and how is this similar to the experience of other immigrant groups such as the Irish?
4. What were the ramifications of the Mexican War for the “foreigners in their native land” as Takaki called it? How did it influence the issue of the expansion of slavery in the United States?
How does Takaki’s “master narrative” apply to EITHER of the following (choose ONE):
Irish Immigrants (chapter 6)
Chinese immigrants (chapter 8)
Image 1: Cartoon, The Usual Irish Way of Doing Things. Image 2: Cartoon, Pacific Chivalry
6. What was the relationship between the Black Codes and the Thirteenth and Fourteenth Amendments to the Constitution that were passed during Reconstruction? Please include a discussion on the issue of the role of the federal vs. state/local government.
Answer ONE of the following in 4-5 paragraphs. You must use Takaki to answer this question but you are welcome to refer to documents weve read if it makes sense. Do not use outside sources. (50 points)
It has been suggested in this class, by me as well as by your textbook, that the category of race is not an immutable physical construct but rather a relatively modern social contract that has evolved over the course of the last half-millennium according to historical developments. What historical factors led to the emergence of the racial hierarchy and a caste labor system in the British colonies and later United States? Please make sure you use examples from Takaki or by referring to documents weve read. (Note that Takaki does not use to term caste labor system to refer solely to slavery but also when discussing vaqueros, Chinese and all Calibans of color.)
Image: Johann Heinrich Ramberg, Stephano, Trinculo, and Caliban (left) Dancing from the Tempest (ca. 1810)
How does Takaki utilize the terms civilization and savagery to tell the story of American history from a different mirror? Note that he presents these terms as mirror images of each other and the definition of one says a lot about the fear and self-identification of the other. Please make sure you present Takakis definition of these two terms in your response (that is what are the characteristics of civilization and what are the characteristics of savagery) and give at least TWO examples of ethnic or immigrant groups branded as savage and how this was used to justify unequal treatment.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more