Write an essay for each question regarding chapters 1-6 of First People by Colin G. Calloway.
1. How does understanding the ancient indigenous history of the continent change our
understanding of American history? What role did Natives have before contact? And
after? How did it change after?
2. What factors determined relations between the Natives and European settlers? What did
contact look like and why did settlers behave this way? Why did they come to this new
3. How did Natives respond to European settlers and colonialism? In what ways did the
power and presence on Natives limit and shape settler ambitions and agendas?
4. Why did the Spanish come to California? Why did they establish missions, for what
purpose? Describe and detail how that went for Natives.
5. What were the various responses to Native peoples to the military, political, social,
cultural, and religious pressures by settlers and the expanding America?
6. Describe the Indian Removal policy. What was it and why was it established?